Being Real is about being true to yourself. Life can get stressful for everyone, and all of us need time and space to recharge and care for ourselves. This might mean something as small as a few quiet minutes reading a book, enjoying an activity you love or calling a friend to see how they are doing. Connecting with the people and things we love, and taking a break from the constant demands of our lives can become an important antidote to our busy, overstressed lives.
And always remember: self-care is not selfish! No matter what you do or who you care for, taking care of your needs makes you more effective and able to do the things that you need to do.
Healthy Tips for Being Real
- Doing good for others is powerful! Volunteer to help your community – it’s good for you too
- Counseling can be a lifesaver – there are many low- or no-cost counseling options in Kent County
- Reconnect with the people you love to build happiness and contentment – nothing is better than being around people you love
- Get as close to 7-8 hours of sleep as you can every night
- Natural settings are shown to boost mental health and happiness. Make a visit to one of Grand Rapids’ 74 beautiful parks a regular thing
If you feel like you can’t go on, or that you may harm yourself, stop what you are doing and call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline now at 1-800-273-8255